Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Fay and Gustav

So in my first three and a half weeks down at LSU, I will have the possibility of already having been through two storms. The first one was Fay, which came through at the end of last week, beginning of this week, whose remnants are in the Virginia area right now, and the second possibly being Gustav. Gustav is currently in between Haiti and Cuba, but the center of its projected path has it coming straight for this area. However, most storms with that projected path end up going either towards the Florida panhandle or towards Texas. However, the LSU website is already preparing with readiness information and what to do in storm situations and all, as well as the New Orleans area getting ready for possible evacuations, setting up evacuation routes. The path of the storm will be more clear within the next day or two as it passes underneath Cuba. Currently it is expected to strengthen into a category 2 or possibly a category 3 as it travels through the Gulf of Mexico, by the time Gustav would make landfall along the Gulf coast. Where is the question. However, you don't need to fear, as the LSU campus and Baton Rouge are far enough inland to not have much impact from coastal storm surge and anything along those lines.

On to a brighter topic, my first few days of class have been pretty good. My schedule has a lot of open time which will end up being filled with working and practicing. But it is nice having a lot of open time with which I have to work with, unlike many other freshmen music majors, due to the fact that I am already entering with 5 of my general education courses taken care of due to my SAT scores and AP exam scores. Currently, I am taking "Intro to Music Study" which is a music history and a music theory class combined, as well as an "Intro to Music Education" class, which I still have to go to, the first class being tomorrow. I am also taking a math class, "Intro to Contemporary Math" which covers four completely different topics, consumer math (interest, sales, that kind of stuff), probability, and two other topics which I cannot think of at the moment. My other classes are my studio class, and this class will consist of my lessons, trombone quartet, recital attendance, and the studio class itself. This will be the hardest class for me to get an A in, as there is so much that goes into it, as well as it being very tough to get "A"'s in lesson grades. Aside from all those, I am also in the Symphonic Band and the Tiger Marching Band. Our first show, for the game this Saturday against Appalachian State, is a "champions/celebration" theme, with "We Are The Champions," "Celebrate," and "Celebration." In addition to this, it is the alumni band weekend. The band does a new show almost every week. The football team has 8 home games, so that means 8 shows at home. I say 8 shows at home, because the full band goes on one away game, this year being the Auburn game towards the end of September. I believe we will be learning a show for that game as well. And if we make the SEC championship game, thats another one, as well as any bowl game. Now whether or not we'll learn new shows for any of that stuff, I don't know, but I wouldn't be surprised if we did.

5 comments:

Evie said...

Glad to see you're up and running.
Mom

Dave said...

Great to see you posting. One of the links on my favorite list is the National Hurricane Center ... http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

Josh you are in rain and storm area...have fun with it. LOL.

Christian said...

Good to see you on here Josh. Now you have to get your brother to update!

Barbara said...

I'm so glad you have a blog. I will be checking in often to see how you're doing.

We were on vacation last week in the Smoky Mountains and got some of the rain from Fay. I wasn't real happy about seeing her as she put a damper on our plans.

I hope you stay safe through Gustac ... he's looking pretty scarey.

Catharine said...

So glad we can keep in touch. Enjoy university life and the fun times ahead. Happy blogging!