Tuesday, October 21, 2008

The Memorial Tower





























On campus, by the parade grounds near the Student Union (pretty much the center of campus) is the tall clock tower, the Memorial Tower. This clock tower goes off every 15 minutes using the Westminster chimes sequence. It can be heard somewhat easily from the Pentagon where I live. It is quite convenient to figure out what time it is, having the clock tower go off every 15 minutes. At least, until 10 PM. The bells stop ringing at 10 PM daily. Every day at noon, after the full on-the-hour sequence is played and the 12 chimes of noon ring, the Memorial Tower then plays the LSU Alma Mater in its entirety, all two verses. Just a unique thing about the LSU campus.

Oh, and on a side note, I received my absentee ballot in the mail a couple weeks ago and waited until after the last presidential debate (the "Joe The Plumber" debate) to fill it out. I mailed it in at the end of last week. Now I just have to sit back and wait for everything to be counted.

4 comments:

Evie said...

When you read my last email, you'll realize that I wrote it before coming here. You've already answered one of my questions.

Nice picture of the Memorial Tower, and some interesting information about its place in campus life.

Dave said...

Thanks for telling about Memorial Tower and its place in LSU life. When I was there I noticed it was a part of the campus tour.

Catharine said...

One of the things I enjoyed most about Asbury College is the chimes, especially at dinner time when hyms were played. Do you mis them Evie?

Evie said...

Catharine - I enjoyed playing the chimes once a week. That was one of the perks of being a piano major.