Thursday, September 25, 2008

In today's Daily Reveille, the school paper, there was the following article:

Auburn fan, don’t call me ‘nigger’

Johanathan Brooks

Sports Contributor

Print this article

Published: Thursday, September 25, 2008

Updated: Thursday, September 25, 2008

I had my fourth away game experience when I went to Auburn, Ala., to see LSU play this past weekend.

It was a good time, and I list Auburn as one of my favorite college gameday experiences. But one bad apple left a sour taste in my mouth.

Nearly everyone was gracious in welcoming me to the city and hoped I enjoyed myself, but one guy thought he’d be bold enough to actually call me the “n-word.”

I’ll admit, I don’t have high regards for the state that tried to force Rosa Parks to the back of a bus, forced Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. to march from Selma to Montgomery so people like my grandparents could have their basic civil rights and had a governor who defied the Alabama National Guard by refusing to let blacks enter the state’s largest college.

But with all that negative history, I never expected to be told to “Move out of the way, nigger” while lining up outside the stadium to get in.

The instance reminded me of a quote by my favorite comedian, Dave Chappelle:

“Have you ever had something happen that was so racist that you didn’t even get mad? You was like, ‘God damn that was racist!’”

That’s exactly how it felt. I didn’t even have the capacity to respond because I was caught so off guard.

To top things off, this wasn’t the first instance of racism I’ve had to deal with while trying to enjoy a football game.

I had the unfortunate experience of driving to Oxford, Miss., in 2007.

Aside from Oxford being where fun goes to die, I had to see dozens of confederate flags and listen to men sing “Dixie.”

I respect other schools’ traditions no matter how backward or racist I perceive them to be, so that didn’t bother me.

What bothered me was a grown man asking me when I was let out of prison to come see the game as if — just because I’m black — I’ve committed enough crimes by the age of 20 to warrant serving hard time.

I’ve only had one run-in with the law, and it was for speeding.

Maybe I’ve been sheltered growing up in the suburbs of Atlanta, but I honestly can’t recall an instance when an “adult” picked on me because of my race.

It was only these two idiots coming to see teams — ironically enough — comprised mostly of people who look like me.

My other two away trips saw no instances of bigotry. For that, I’d like to thank the lovely people of Tuscaloosa, Ala., and Tulane fans in New Orleans.

In 2008 — a year that has seen a black man leading most national polls to become the next president — there are still people ignorant enough to try to offend me because I don’t have to tan and my hair is a coarser texture. And I think it’s ridiculous.

I don’t really care if people hate me. But if you are going to, at least have a real reason.

Don’t hate me because I’m black.

Hate me because I’m a national champion, and you aren’t.





That article serves well for me to discuss the second big difference that I have noticed between home and LSU (as I knew would probably be a difference in some form). Racism. I figured before I even came here that I would probably hear of/encounter some situations regarding this. LSU is in Louisiana, which is part of the Deep South.

The book I had to read over the summer before my senior year of high school, The Blind Side, is a book about Michael Oher, a football player for Ole Miss from the Memphis area, and his high school football career and college recruitment (sidenote, he was being recruited by Nick Saban who at the time was the coach for LSU. Nick Saban promised him that he would not leave LSU, and then he left LSU for the Miami Dolphins. Now Nick Saban is coaching again in the SEC, now at Alabama. Needless to say, there are a lot of negative and hard feelings towards Saban. It is going to be one interesting game when Alabama comes to play here on November 8, when it will be Nick Saban's first time back in Tiger Stadium since suddenly departing LSU). Anyways, in the book, there are portions that do show how there are still some remaining racist attitudes in the deep south. I was not shocked when I have observed the racist feelings that sometimes surface in some people at times.

I heard a story about how a New Orleans police chief said that any white person driving in a black neighborhood would be pulled over, and vice versa, any black person driving in a white neighborhood would be pulled over, and he said "If you don't like it and complain, we'll stop. An you can get robbed."

Now, the Oakton, the high school I went to, is considered in Fairfax County as being "the rich white school." This is because the school demographics are somewhat like this: 70% white, 20% asian, 10% hispanic, black, others. In the band program, there was an average of about 2-3 black kids in the program all four years I was there. Yes, this shows that even up in Northern Virginia, there are some areas that are still somewhat "segregated" in a sorts, it is not as bad as still is down here in some ways. As well, I never encountered any actual situations regarding racism while I was at Oakton.

Down here at LSU, it is different. And I'm sure its similar all across the deep south, Louisiana, Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia. This also goes to show that although the civil rights movement occured almost 50 years ago now, there is still a LONG way to go before racism is eliminated. I honestly don't think it will ever completley happen, because there is always going to be one group that thinks they are elitist over another group in some form or another. Its a part of human nature.

I belive that this could also be a deciding factor in the November election in the swing state of Virginia. A large part of southern Virginia is comprised of blacks. However, a large portion of them do not typically vote in elections. The fact that Barack Obama is running as the Democratic candidate could change this and push Virginia over the edge. It will probably be interesting to see how the voting in this years election compares to that of past years, especially in states like Virginia and those in the deep south. There is a new factor that has not been in past presidential elections. We'll see how things go.

7 comments:

Dave said...

Thank you for the reflection.

Concerned Friend said...

Don’t you think you're being a little narrow minded by looking down on an entire state, in 2008, based on two events that happened in 1955 and 1965? I'm not familiar with your blog, but I see you have connections to Georgia and Louisiana. Are you under the impression that those two states were the guiding light towards progression during that dark hour of our nation's history? Look, racism is the entire south's cross to bear. Alabama's civil rights record, while utterly embarrassing, was not the worst in the south, yet it was the cradle of the civil rights movement. Instead of promoting division, maybe you should embrace the people, both black and white, who were brave enough to work together against negative influences to bring about change, change that spread beyond the borders of Alabama.

As far as the main point of your blog, that is absolutely disgusting. It was a moving and thought provoking piece, that one section just irritated me.

Evie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dave said...

Josh, experience shows that those who post anonymously with cutting comments are speaking more about their character than anything else. Similar things can be said about those who post under "Concerned Friend" or those who preface their statements with "in Christian love".

A true friend would identify themselves. If they knew you they would speak to you directly. When "friend" is used by people who do not know you they have devalued and thereby misused the word....in other words, butchering the English languish.

I am happy that you posted what an African American penned for the LUS student paper. The author of the article was rightly shocked by the statement. You have not been exposed to blatent racism, but unfortunately it still exists in some places. I am pleased you are standing with the author of the article by joining in with his shock. Fortunately, blatent racism is rare.

What is unfortunate is when someone diminishes a racist statement with defensive comments. Instead of acknowledging it and affirming it should not happen, they marginalize the comment by saying that they are not as bad as others or it is not as bad as it used to be. The "unconcerned friend" calls for healing, yet he or she has in their post done the contrary.

As to your statement of the election, if racism is not at play, then why are a significant portion (about 8-12%) of white voters saying they could not vote for Obama because of his race.

Running in sections of the country is an ad by the McCain camp talking about corrupt business leaders bilking shareholders and mortgage holders. The ad show only one such company official, a black man, when white executives who have engaged in such behavior outnumber blacks by more than 20 to 1. Why would the ad show a black man executive rather than a white executive in an attack against a black opponent? Simple, it is a subtle racial play. While unconcerned friend may not allow race to color his or her voting choices, race is at play in the election.

Concerned Friend said...

Dave,
I did not "diminish" the racist statement in any way, nor did I provide any “cutting” comments. Please re-read my post as you apparently didn’t understand it. It was not inflammatory and I called the racism “disgusting”.

I said it was a good thought provoking piece. I simply had one point of contention. I do think the original author would benefit from looking at another point of view when he disparages an entire state. It is precisely that blanket stereotyping that inhibits progression. That is narrow minded, regardless of what you post on a blog, Dave.

By the way Dave, I find great irony in the following accusation: “butchering the English languish”

Josh said...

I am not making blanket statements regarding entire states. I love it here in Louisiana and think it is a great state. I am just pointing out that there is still a lot that can be done to improve still throughout much of the south, and me being down here makes me realize it more than I did when I lived further north, while still technically in the south, in northern Virginia. I'm sure that there are people throughout the nation with subtle or not so subtle racist views, they're just generally more prevalent in the south because there's a higher concentration based on the history.

Concerned Friend said...

Josh,

I understand you and respect you. I'm referring to just one paragraph of the original author's piece, not what you wrote. I enjoyed the read. Keep up the good work. It is unfortunate that people like Dave cannot comprehend these important issues,and instead resort to negativity.